Friday, March 06, 2009

My Random Asa Encounter





In the midst of a harrowing, stressful and unbelievably hot day, I’m standing at the teller counter at GTBank when Asa walks in to stand beside me. I’m awe-struck, no, star-struck and wanted to say something but didn’t know if I should. In my mind I was like, gosh she’s tiny! Her mien was very calm, totally oblivious to everyone in the banking hall trying their hardest not to gawk at her. You know Nigerians are the best when trying to pretend that they aren’t star-struck nor do they care for celebrity when they REALLY do deep down.

So I finished my business at the bank and left. I got into my car and was about to drive off when I thought to myself, I’m going to stalk her. No, wait for her to come out and I’ll go up to her and say hello and ask her if she wouldn’t mind taking a picture with me. Her BIGGEST FAN! Emi ati Asa nikan sho sho. And as big a fan of hers as I am, I am ashamed to say that I’ve missed her in concert at the few given opportunities that have come my way. So you can understand why I had to capture this moment and couldn’t just let her go scot-free like that.
After about 20 minutes, she eventually came out and camera in hand, I burst out of my car and pretended to calmly walk up to her. I said to her, “Hi Asa. I’ve been waiting for you to come out. How are you?” “I’m good” she says with a smile. Then I asked her if she wouldn’t mind taking a picture with me and she’s like “sure”, in a nice and good natured manner. So I grabbed her companion and took my pictures with Asa live! And voila! I wasn’t looking my glammest as you can see from the picture, but ask me if I care. ‘Fi mi sile’!

8 comments:

Artsville said...

I envy you. ok,Met her when she wasn't so big.

Anonymous said...

Dear SayMama, brace thyself: One day, at the rate you are going, it will be Asa stalking you for a picture and an autograph and worried about how glam she looks! Nice Friday wind-down piece.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Met her as well some years ago-she did seem quite pleasant but somewhat shy. I think she's quite gifted.

AustynZOGS said...

I like the simplicity of your poise.I must commend Asa for her humility.Some Naija 'super celebrities' would have shunned as if they own the entire world.
You got real smart on this.I even overheard your discussion with Asa before the photo shoot.Learnt you told her:''Lets kick out the sounds!' and she replied :''Now,this is your chance to show your skills.''
Guess who told me that? Take a look at the T-SHIRTS you and Asa wore!!!!

Saymama said...

@AustynZOGS; that's funny that you were able to pick out the writings on the t-shirts! I hadn't really thought about that before you mentioned it!
@Ola: she is gifted and was as cool as I'd always imagined she would be.
@Anon:I'm looking forward to that day! And I'll quote you when said day arrives!

Lost at The End said...

And who says you did not look nice? like your laid-back ensemble.

Unknown said...

Dont know about you, but you both looked pretty fly to me!

aare said...

I have a Nikon D40 SLR camera which I carry about but on the day I ran into Asa backstage at a concert, there was no memory card,in it! So I had to make do with a Blackberry bold. Now if you've used the camera on the BB Bold you will know its next to rubbish!